Thursday, December 23, 2010

Wisdom From Our Leaders

     My mother was a leader at the stake level for as long as I can remember. She usually served in Relief Society but also served at least one calling in Young Women's and Primary. My five sisters have all had at least one calling at the stake level. Each of my sisters was called to serve at the stake level before they were at the age I am now, 31. And then there's yours truly, laboring away at a smorgasbord of low-prestige jobs all at the ward level. It does not help my self esteem.
     Yet one of our General authorities ((which one I don't remember, which maybe should give me a slight clue of why I'm still plodding along helping my ward while others have advanced beyond me)) has  counseled us not to seek after positions. I take this to heart as I prepare lessons for my Beehives or wave my arm to a three-four beat pattern in Relief Society. It is not for me to decide where I will serve or whom I will serve. It is rather for me to serve and accept the guidance of our Savior and His designated leaders in telling me in what ways I am most needed. Someday perhaps I will be blessed with thatmost important Stake calling but until then I must be the best ward worker I know how to be.

If you can't be the pine at the top of the hill,
Be a shrub in the valley below.
The best little scrub in the valley below,
Be a bush if you can't be a tree.
If you can't be a bush be a bit of the grass,
And some highway happier make
If you can't be a muskie, then just be a bass,
But be the liveiest bass in the Lake!
We can't all be captains, we've got to be crew,
There's something for all of us here.
There's big work to do and lesser to do,
And the task we must do is the near.
If you can't be a highway then just be a trail,
If you can't be the sun, be a star.
It isn't by size that you win or you fail,
Be the best of whatever you are."
                               -Douglas Malloch

No comments:

Post a Comment